Social & Community Impact
Social & Community Impact
SouthSide work closely with local business, contractors and suppliers to provide the best services to all of our landlords, tenants and team. We have worked with many of the same local contractors for years, with good long-term working relationships. Providing stable work for our contractors has allowed us to gain the best negotiated prices for our landlords in return.
Our Director, John Davidson, is a trustee at Cannongate Youth, a local charity providing support to children and young people in Edinburgh and the Lothians. They provide a welcoming space to young people, encouraging, empowering them and building trust. John is particularly involved in helping young people into work and homes in Edinburgh. Our team are also involved in coaching young people (particularly in business), primary and youth sports teams and youth groups and homeless charities.
SouthSide Property Management Environmental Policy
SouthSide Property Management are committed to reducing our impact on the environment by continuing to improve our internal processes and operating methods with regular review and team awareness training. This is in addition to complying with all relevant legislative requirements and monitoring any regulatory changes to ensure we are constantly aiming to reduce our environmental impact.
All our team members have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of this Environmental Policy are implemented. We also encourage our customers and suppliers to improve their environmental performance in line with our core values wherever possible.
- Our aim is to never buy any petrol/diesel vehicles in the future. Instead, we invest in electric cars, which will be more sustainable and reduce our impact on the environment.
- To date, over half of our total vehicle fleet is fully electric.
- By planning routes of property viewers, we will limit any unnecessary travelling.
- Having one person conducting viewings or Routine Property Visits at one time, we will reduce carbon emissions and time spent going back and forth from the office.
- Our participation in the ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme aims to reduce our use of transport to work.
- We have planning permission in place to have our own charging port for our electric vehicles.
- Ensuring boilers are replaced when required, reducing tenant energy costs and our carbon footprint.
- Installing HIVE controls/equivalent to achieve the best possible Energy Performance rating.
- We trial electric heating in properties where possible.
- Opting for green energy suppliers where possible.
- After getting an EPC rating, we look to improve the facilities of a property to make it more energy efficient in any way we can. This includes complying with new legislation to improve the rating to minimum of EPC E before letting by October 2020.
- Aim to apply for solar panels on our properties.
Energy and Water:
- We have a policy of using as little bottled water as possible.
- Encouraging our team to use the integrated water dispenser in our refrigerator, our mains-fed water fountain or tap water instead of bottled water.
- Heating is timed with energy consumption in mind.
- In our office, we are committed to ensuring our waste is split into different recycling categories.
- We seek to minimise our use of paper in the office, by not printing large documents unless necessary.
- We reuse and recycle paper and other material where possible.
- Purchasing quality long-lasting furniture to minimise replacements, e.g. better mattresses.
- Recent renovations have included more windows and skylights allowing for more natural light.
- PCs are turned off at the end of each day.
- Lights in corridors and WCs are on timer switches.
- Natural cleaning products and recyclable bottles.
- Employee awareness and engagement (economic and environmental efficiencies are discussed during team training).
- Local to property they attend i.e. Edinburgh City, Mid Lothian, East Lothian electricians.
- 1 property visit policy where possible – resolve issues on first visit so no double trips in cars. Tied in with detailed descriptions and photo/video evidence.
Contribution to Climate Change:
- In addition to other energy efficient practices and to further reduce our carbon footprint, we are committed to planting a tree for every tenancy and playing our part in Edinburgh becoming A Million Tree City by 2030.