Prospective Landlord FAQs
Current Landlord FAQs
Important Information For New Landlords FAQs
We offer our full management service for 9% + VAT (10.8% including VAT of the monthly rental, minimum fee of £81 including VAT.
If you already have tenants in place, our management fee is reduced to 6% + VAT (7.2% including VAT).
- Marketing – the cost of letting is included in your management fee on the basis that you are looking for full management for at least 3 years. This includes your professional photos, uploading the advert to all the major letting portals, the To Let Board and enquiry management.
- Viewings – scheduling and conducting viewings.
- Full application process – vetting potential applicants, referencing and credit checks and signing the legal documents on your behalf. We will also deal with the deposit transfer to the Letting Protection Service Scotland for retention and return at the time they move out.
- Routine Property Visits (RPVs) – we conduct RPVs around once every 3-6 months to ensure the property is being kept in good condition. A detailed photographic report will be sent to you after.
- Negotiated trades prices – we work with many approved contractors/suppliers with negotiated prices for repairs and maintenance to ensure our landlords get the best value for money.
- Most of our contractor’s prices will be cheaper than what you can arrange on your own. We do not charge any fees or take anything from the invoices like many of our competitors.
We do also offer a Let Only service designed for landlords who are looking to manage their property themselves but require initial assistance to find the right tenant. We offer 4 levels to our Let Only service, all of which require an initial fixed charge of £198 inc VAT for advertising the property on all the major letting portals. Further information on this can be found under the Let Only Service section of the landlords page on our website.
No, not for marketing and everyday management of your property. Unlike many of our competitors, we do not charge for the cost of letting and finding a tenant (if a long-term landlord).
We will only charge for additional services, over and above our everyday management – such as refurbishment projects.
Never, we only charge fees on the rent we actually receive.
You will be required to give notice to the tenants, it is 28 days notice if the tenancy is under 6 months old or 84 days notice if the tenancy is over 6 months old.
To keep things simple and fair for our landlords, our pricing structure is the same for everyone. However, when you are a portfolio landlord we offer the following additional services depending on the number of properties in your portfolio.
- Cover the cost of landlord insurance and factoring
- Client portfolio mailing list for tenanted properties for sale
- Annual and Bi-annual meetings with Property Manager to review properties and make recommendations
- 5%-50% reduction on property introduction and project management and refurbishment fees.
We can arrange an inventory on your behalf if you wish. We work very closely with a couple of inventory companies, however, this will not be included in your management fees. We also conduct Routine Property Visits (RPVs) around once every 3-6 months to ensure the property is being kept in good condition, this is included in your management fees. A detailed photographic report will be sent to you after.
We can arrange for all of the legal certificates and requirements to be arranged to get your property compliant. This includes:
- Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
- Landlords Safety Checks – Gas Safety Check, Portable Applicant Test (PAT), Legionella Risk Assessment
- Fire detection (smoke, heat & CO detectors)
- Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR)
- Fire blanket
- Landlord Registration (NOTE: SPM cannot carry this out on your behalf due to the legislation)
We are happy to arrange a free, no obligation appraisal where we will meet you at your property to advise on what is required to make your property compliant for renting. We will also give you recommendations on any works required to achieve the best return on your investment. You can arrange a property appraisal via our website or by calling our office on 0131 51 000 51.
We send on tenant applications to you to provide us with a shortlist and we then offer them a viewing based on your preferences. Successful applicants will then be vetted and follow our checking and referencing procedure, you can request to see the applicant’s documents if you wish.
There are certain grounds for giving notice on a Private Residential Tenancy (PRT) and by law you can only ask your tenant to leave for one of these reasons. Grounds include but are not limited to; you or a family member want to move in to the property yourselves, you want to sell the property, you want to carry out work to the property which means no one will be able to live there while the work is carried out. Your property manager will be able to advise you of this, more information can be found on the PRT itself or on the Scottish Government website. If your tenant ignores the Notice to Leave or refuses to leave the property, you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal for Scotland Housing and Property Chamber.
We follow the government guidelines and stages for the arrears process which includes providing tenants with the relevant information and help links. We aim to set up a payment plan with the tenants and if this is not met and the tenant remains in arrears for the 3 consecutive months, we look to serve the sufficient 6 months’ notice to leave.