Maintenance Issues

Report Maintenance Issues

Welcome to our repair reporting system. To speed up the process, please add photographs of the reported issue where possible. Failure to do so may mean we need to contact you for pictures before we can proceed. We are committed to fixing your problems swiftly.  Here is a short video of how to report an issue using the Report Maintenance box below:

If you are already a SouthSide tenant, then please visit the Existing Tenants section for useful information covering all areas of your tenancy, including some basic checks you should carry out before reporting maintenance issues to your property manager.

When reporting an issue by phone or by email, please contact your property manager directly and always include:

  • Your property reference (indicated on your lease and your key fob)
  • A description of the issue (with as much detail as possible)
  • Photos of the fault (showing the make/model of an appliance where possible). This is important as photos will often help to identify which contractor is required

To report an emergency, please call 0131 51 000 51 during working hours (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm and Saturday 9am-1.30pm) OR 0131 510 24 24 outside working hours.

Emergencies are

  • Gas Leak
  • Fire
  • Flooding
  • Unsecured Property
  • Locked out of property

It is important to note that some basic maintenance is the tenant’s responsibility and therefore some callouts may be charged to tenants, examples of which are below:

  • Replacing batteries for smoke alarms
  • Replacing light bulbs
  • Tenant locks themselves out of property and requires a call out from SouthSide or a locksmith
  • Broken items due to tenants’ misuse or accidents
  • Re-pressurise the boiler (if filling loop is available)
  • Blockages in pipes e.g. kitchen sink due to misuse or excessive hair in plug holes
  • Blockages in filters e.g. hair clips or coins in washing machines or vacuum cleaner blockage
  • Damage due to excessive condensation/damp (where property has not been properly heated and ventilated during tenancy)

Please also note that all general maintenance issues will be dealt with during normal office hours.

If you are a neighbour reporting an issue, please reference the property address and leave your contact details as we may need to ask a specific member of the team to return your call.

Noise Complaints

To report noise from domestic premises such as a noisy party or loud music please call 101.  More information regarding antisocial behaviour can be found HERE

What to do if you suspect you have a gas leak

If you smell gas or think that you may have a gas leak then you should call National Grid Emergency Service line straight away on 0800 111 999.

What to do if water is leaking through your ceiling from the property above

In the event of a leak from above, you should inform the owner/occupier immediately so they can turn off the water or contact a plumber to fix the problem.  You should also obtain the contact details of the landlord or agent if it is a rented property.  If the issue isn’t resolved within an hour or a reasonable amount of time you can also contact Edinburgh Council on 0131 200 2000 to report the problem.  It is also advisable to take photos of the leak and send to your property manager to keep on file.

What to do if your fire alarm is beeping

If your fire alarm is beeping constantly, you may need to change the battery. Fire alarms can be activated by smoke from cooking, cigarette smoke and smoke from candles. The fire alarm should be tested regularly to check they are functioning properly by pushing and releasing the button. This is very important as it could save your life in the event of a fire. Candles are a common cause of fire in residential home and should never be left unattended. Please note that smoking and burning candles is prohibited in all SouthSide properties.