Overview of Services
SouthSide is one of the few companies in Edinburgh who do not charge a set-up cost or pass on marketing costs for our long term landlords. We advertise on ALL major letting portals to achieve maximum exposure at no extra cost. Below are the services we offer.
Full Management Service
Should your property already be let with another company or you’re managing it yourself, we can take over the full management at a reduced rate of 6%+VAT of the monthly rent for the duration the tenants are in the property and then when we find new tenants it would revert to the standard 9%+VAT.
Southside have an ethos of “Property Made Simple” to make the letting and management of rental property as simple as possible. We are not the right company for every Landlord, however if you are a long term property owner with a long term view and have a good property maintained to a good standard we would be happy to provide a no obligations appraisal.
- SouthSide do not charge any hidden fees to landlords for marketing; leases; maintenance; inspections or any renewal fees.
- In addition to this, we do not charge tenants any fees either, for example referencing and lease fees, tenants simply pay their first month’s rent and deposit (which we transfer to Letting Protection Scotland lettingprotectionscotland.co.uk for retention and return at the time they move out).
- We will always do what we can to match the right tenants to the right properties and therefore we do not work on a first come first served basis, we consider multiple applications, summarise each application with the landlord and the landlord will then have the opportunity to make the final decision.
- We conduct property inspections 1 month after tenants move in and 3-6 months inspections thereafter, to ensure that the property is being kept in a good condition.
- Being Landlords ourselves and having used other letting agents before, we know how frustrating and costly it can be to carry out repairs and maintenance. To assist with this we have excellent local trades-people at negotiated prices and we do not add any fees either within or to the total of any invoices. For example we have negotiated a rate of £39 incl. VAT with various gas engineers for the annual landlord Gas safety certificates, ensuring landlords make a saving while maintaining the highest of safety standards. Many of our competitors take a percentage of the invoice back from contractors which results in much higher costs for landlords which we simply feel is not ethical.
- Landlords will be notified if repairs or maintenance need to be arranged and any associated costs will be detailed on the monthly rental statement along with invoices. The costs of works will then be deducted from the rental payment before being transferred. Deductions for any higher costs can be split to make the payments more manageable if required.
Below is a list of our negotiated service rates with partner companies. We can also organise for works to be carried out by your own contractors if you prefer.
Over the years we have developed a very effective and efficient letting and property management service and are pleased to continue to build long term relationships with landlords.
If you would like to discuss renting your property with us or arrange an appointment for a FREE property appraisal with John Davidson please contact us on 0131 51 000 51 or complete the contact form.
Should you decide to work with us, all we require are two simple forms to be returned by you: a Legal Requirement Form and a Landlord Preference Form both of which are provided during the property appraisal or by email on request. As soon as we receive those we can begin to advertise your property. We typically take photos on a Wednesday so that the property can be advertised on all the major letting web portals on a Friday to catch the weekend traffic.
Let Only Service
Our Let Only Service is designed for landlords who are looking to manage their property themselves but require initial assistance to find the right tenant.
We offer 4 levels to our Let Only Service. All of which require an initial fixed charge of £165+VAT for marketing the property (which includes a ‘To Let’ board outside the property if required).
Level 1 (15%+VAT of the achieved monthly rental – 1st month only)
Includes: Marketing, Creation of Advert and Enquiry Management
Level 2 (25%+VAT of the achieved monthly rental – 1st month only)
Includes: Marketing, Creation of Advert, Enquiry Management, Reference Checks/Credit Checks
Level 3 (35%+VAT of the achieved monthly rental – 1st month only)
Includes: Marketing, Creation of Advert, Enquiry Management, Viewings and Reference Checks/Credit Checks
Level 4 (45%+VAT of the achieved monthly rental – 1st month only)
Includes: Marketing, Creation of Advert, Enquiry Management, Viewings, Reference Checks/Credit Checks and Preparation and Signing of Lease/Legal Documentation
Please note that in order to advertise a property we require, by law, the Landlord Registration Number and EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)
Formal Pre-Purchase/Rental Survey
For landlords that are looking to purchase a buy-to-let property, we also offer a Pre-Purchase Survey for a fixed cost of £80+VAT to advise landlords on the viability of the investment which includes the following:
- Site visit to the property
- Detailed description of property (including access and points to note)
- Legal obligations to put in place for letting
- Rental appraisal
(We can also provide a basic pre-purchase appraisal for £45+VAT where no visit is required)
Following a purchase and if required by the owner, we offer a full or let only management service as detailed above. Please note that we will refund the cost of the Pre-Purchase Rental Survey for owners looking to let their property with SouthSide on a full management basis for the long term (2 years or more) which would be refunded with their first monthly rental payment and included on their monthly rental statement.
Inspection Only Service
Occasionally landlords require, as part of their insurance, a property check or inspection to be carried out if their property is vacant for a period of time. We offer an inspection service inclusive of photos and a detailed report at a cost of £22.50+VAT per visit if the property is in Edinburgh.